The requirement of Xcode 5.1.1 was how things were at the start of the week.
The new problem has happened since then. My suspicion is that as part of the
failed update to iOS 8.0.1 something bad was discovered, and Xcode 6.0.1 was
released on the 17th to counter some malicious attack kinda thing. So, I think
it’s quite a recent issue.

The ld file that is used by Xcode 6.0.1 is only a day old.

Ralph was lucky to get through. I know of another developer who submitted their
app a few days ago, and it got through the initially checking, but then was
rejected during the review stage, because the new requirements had kicked in by
then.