On 27/03/2016 10:42, Peter TB Brett wrote:
On 26/03/2016 23:40, Alex Tweedly wrote:
I haven't found (can't find) a spec for LCB, so I'm not sure exactly
what "proper lists" are - but I think maybe not quite what I meant.

There's a spec in the "Guides" tab of the LC8 dictionary -- look for "LiveCode Builder Language Reference".
I see that, but the ONLY mention it makes of lists are:
 - it is one of the Types
 - it holds a "sequence of values"
 - what a ListExpression is.

There's also a whole LCB dictionary section in the "Dictionary" tab that describes all the syntax relating to working with Lists.
True - but sadly there's no effective way to filter those 523 entries to see only the ones that are relevant to a List type.

I was thinking of "proper arrays" :-) i.e. real, old-fashioned indexed
arrays - see Algol, Fortran, etc.

So we would have
read access in constant time
write access in constant time
insertion complexity - there is no such thing as insertion :-)

Yes. We're talking about the same thing. The LCB "List" datatype is this datastructure.

I suspect we're not quite talking about the same thing - I think 'proper lists' are something more powerful than I was picturing, but can do everything I am looking for - and a whole lot more. If I simply ignore all that "more", then they do what I am hoping for.

Many thanks for you patience explaining this.
I'll go start playing with LCB and try to ask harder questions :-)

Thanks
-- Alex.