Hi Richard,

I take it back. I thought I had it working but alas, not so much. I can’t make
it work for a button in a palette stack (a plugin) and selectedText from the
Script Editor of the topStack. Here is my button script:

on mouseUp

        set the defaultstack to the topstack

        put the selectedtext into tText

        if the first char of tText is not quote then put quote before tText

        if the last char of tText is not quote then put quote after tText

        put tText into the selectedtext

end mouseUp

The traversalOn of this button is indeed unchecked. When I click the button,
the selectedText in the Script Editor goes unhilited, and nothing else happens.
Funny thing is, I could swear I had it working before my previous post???

Cheers,

Roger