> On Aug 24, 2017, at 12:00 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
> <use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> On 8/23/17 10:27 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode wrote:
>> Only about ~15% of Android devices are at anywhere near a recent patch level
>> or current OS version.
>> Android, locked down like iOS (store only apps, current OS version, no -
>> cheap knock offs, stock only OS, etc, etc.) may be close to be being as
>> safe, but you’ve just removed the majority of Android devices from the
>> equation. Now look at market share, and it’s a totally different percentage.
>> Remember, stock Android is only available on a Google “made" device. All
>> others have a manufacturers version of Android, that may not even be the
>> latest version of Android and/or with features that may open security holes.
>
> Very true. Google knows about this and that's why it now puts Google Play
> Services on every device, which is the app that manages security among other
> things. That doesn't mean that manufacturers can't punch holes in the OS, but
> Google is now scanning and managing security for all devices that can access
> the Play Store. It updates in the background much as OS X does.
>
> I suspect the list is getting tired of this discussion so I'll stop, but the
> main point I think Richard and I are trying to make is a response to Bob's
> original comment -- that Android is as safe or safer than iOS, so security
> concerns aren't a good reason to dismiss this very competent OS.

Thank you for your comments and I do agree, the current version of stock
Android is around as safe as the current version of iOS.

My point was that unfortunately that only means ~15% of currently active
Android devices are fairly safe and Bob’s comment, while brief, was fair as far
as it was concerned. Once Android hits iOS’s ~85% active devices on latest
version of the os, then it wouldn’t be. I just don’t think that will happen
anytime soon because of the way the OS is rolled out through 3rd parties for
the most part.

While I don’t like Google having the ability to access my device, remove
software and manage my security, it’s a huge leap forward for the Android world
and much better than the way it was.

Regardless, I’m not advocating for one or the other. And I don’t think anyone
should dismiss Android, Oreo is better than “very competent” :)

Best,

Steve MacLean