On 8/24/17 12:22 AM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode wrote:
My point was that unfortunately that only means ~15% of currently active
Android devices are fairly safe and Bob’s comment, while brief, was fair as far
as it was concerned. Once Android hits iOS’s ~85% active devices on latest
version of the os, then it wouldn’t be. I just don’t think that will happen
anytime soon because of the way the OS is rolled out through 3rd parties for
the most part.

Actually, I was trying to make the opposite point -- Google Play Services is now on (at least) 93% of all Android devices. It runs on any Android regardless of manufacturer or customized OS, provided the device is authorized to access the Google Play Store. It's had over 5 billion downloads and is, among other things, the security layer.

https://www.androidcentral.com/genius-google-play-services

It isn't only the "Google-made" phones that are protected, it's almost all of them now.