On 09/07/2018 06:55 PM, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:

You guys might be right, but I doubt it. Here's one reason why. I took some care to make the math test a true math test.

Notice in Root Loops:

local sQty=1234567
add 0 to sQty --> make it a true number*

I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced that's what actually happens.
So if the next line is

if sQty = "1234567"

by your account that should be a runtime error because it's a comparison between a number and a string? Or does the comparison operator somehow convert the number back to a string to compare the two?

I'm suspicious enough of the sleight-of-hand that underpins the use of unquoted string literals not to trust the easy answers, and to think that under the hood in the engine everything at the script level is an MCString until necessarily converted internally for computation. And then back again.

But just guessing.

--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftw...@gmail.com