usually GPS devices use NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) protocol.

Check this:
http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm

Best wishes
Viktoras

Andre Garzia wrote:
Richard,

I never did that but I think there's a protocol and it's all ascii
based. I think you just open the right com port or something and then
reads chars...

Andre