Graham,

What is the make and model of the device?

Most of the devices that I have seen (even the USB only ones) use serial commands or a converter to serial commands. I have come across a few generic USB drivers for things like the Keyspan High Speed Serial converter. It is a Serial to USB hardware converter. BUT it uses serial commands in the device, the USB driver only emulates a serial port on the Mac.

I have also noticed that other types of devices use the same exact driver. I can look it up if you tell me more.

So a little more info on the device will help.

Tom McG