I believe I discovered that this custom sort function has to be modified in one tiny way to work properly. Instead of

sort lines of fld 1 by valueList(word 1 of each)

you have to do

sort lines of fld 1 numeric by valueList(word 1 of each)

The valueList function returns a number, so the sort has to be numeric. IIRC, this caused a problem for me until I figured it out. I could be misremembering....

Peter M. Brigham
[EMAIL PROTECTED]