Just to confuse you, my own experience may introduce a third perspective. I was a programmer in the heroic days when all that was available were barely symbolic machine code assemblers - I mean you were lucky to be able to introduce a label that had a human-readable name: at one point I wrote a 6000-line assembler program (which used among other things LIFO stacks and recursion) without a single comment, because there wasn't a comment feature in that Assembler. To quote Mark Twain "the statements was interesting, but tough". I then progressed to the 'high level' languages of the time, of which my favourite was Algol (I suppose nowadays you could call Algol a forerunner of Pascal?).

Anyway then my career took me away from the programming coal face for several decades. Finally I decided to recycle myself as a programmer, since that was the part of my job I had enjoyed the most, and I looked for a fun way of doing it. I thought stuff like BASIC and VB incredibly clunky, and stuff like 'C' seemed not far enough from the old assembler days - OK you were no longer struggling with machine code but you were still struggling with a non-human way of expressing things. Already a Mac fan, I had a quick brush with Hypercard, then SuperCard (at the time when they claimed a cross-platform version was just around the corner) and finally to Revolution. And from the fun point of view, I believe I made the right choice, and from the productivity point of view I was amazed by the power of the thing - still am. I was once a geek and paid to be a geek, but now I just want to get on with producing stuff without all that tedious mucking about just to prevent very simple structural errors etc. I am really happy with xTalk and with the whole Rev thing...

Anyway I look forward to the article - good luck with the responses, Richard.

Graham