On 25/12/2009 21:02, J. Landman Gay wrote:
Richmond Mathewson wrote:
RunRev will bother about better text management/manipulation
stuff when, either, enough financial pressure is brought to bear, or one of their big-time customers (???????) demands it.

Or when they can work out how to provide seamless text capabilities across multiple operating systems, each with its own specs. This will require a complete rewrite of the field object. I've spoken to Mark Waddingham about this and believe me, it isn't a trivial task.

Well, one would suppose both what you have written and what I have written will combine to a certain extent as motivating factors - I don't quite know why it seems rude to mention the fact that we live in a capitalist world and that Runtime Revolution
is part of that world.

Rewriting the field object, which is indeed on their list of things to do, will also integrate unicode so that it works without any special commands or settings. When I asked Mark when this might happen, he told me to go read the 6,000 pages of the unicode specs and get back to him.

The field object is one of the most complex and snarly bits of code in the entire engine. Raney called it "the beast" and I'd be surprised if privately the team didn't have even stronger words for it.

Why, Jacques, cannot all postings from "those in the know" be as informative as your are?

Wow; integrating unicode would be marvellous. I have read about 300 pages of the unicode specs and can quite honestly say
that I understood very little indeed.

If you want to believe RunRev's propaganda, they are
doing 'fine-and-dandy' right now with people trampling bodies in the streets just to get a copy of Studio or Enterprise; personally
> I don't believe that at all -

Well, as RunRev seem quite good at keeping some of the information you mention below close to their collective chest
I can only go on what I see.

But you should. As a RevSelect vendor, I see how many new people are coming in and the response has been astounding. Most of the newcomers do not join the mailing list, some are on the forums instead. And many don't join either one. The current megabundle promotion has been one of the most successful in RR's history. Kudos to them for that.

I am very glad to hear it; as I am well aware of the very great difference between RR 2.6 (my previous version) and RR 4, and they
can only have come about through a tremendous amount of work.

It might behoove RunRev to announce the number of sales slap-bang in the middle of their website (lots of other companies
do that); it would impress at least one person 'out here'.

the rather low level of
attendance at the Edinburgh conference what a complete shock to me

It shouldn't have been. I almost didn't go myself. Scotland is far away and fairly costly to get to if you live in a distant country.

I wonder whether RunRev wouldn't be better, in future, to have a North American conf. and a European conf. However, I suspect
a European conf. wouldn't pay for itself.

I am sad to see that a Scots Software company is not more supported on the Scots side of the pond.

Supercard can do all sorts of things with text that RunRev cannot

Yes. They only have to write for OS X, which has built-in hooks for all sort of text manipulation. Now multiply the effort by several operating systems, each of which does it differently. The scope of the endeavor is huge. Mark's been working out how to manage it for some time now.

I am well aware of that; I use RunRev because its advantages over Supercard well outweigh its disadvantages (which, as far as I am
concerned are only the text aspects).

The argument that RunRev can deploy on Mac, Win, Lin and all sorts of other "funny" platforms that most people have absolutely nothing to do with; while Supercard cannot, is not enough
in and of itself to claim superiority over Supercard.

RR supports OS X, three kinds of Windows, and Linux. Seems pretty standard to me.

Very much so (at the moment); but . . .

Um; Intel SPARC, SUN, Iris, UNIX . . . off in the boondocks, nicht?

Thank you very much indeed for answering my 'onslaught' in a fairly comprehensive fashion, that, at least in my case, explains all sorts of things I was wondering about for ages and felt nobody had explained adequately.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.