Graham & Heather Harrison wrote:
But I am a magpie learner (and always looking for elegant
solutions), so this seemed like a good time to chase up relative file
paths. The explanations in the guide and dictionary references, like
so many others, appear to have been written for people who knew it
once and want a refresh. Still, I have no real deadlines, and I don't
want an overflowing To Hard basket.

I like that; "magpie learner". :) Okay, so read up on defaultfolder, because you'll need to set it. There's a sort of critical mass you need to know before Rev falls into place. That's the "learning curve".

I can't remember if we mentioned it, but the scripting conference stacks lead you through some of that curve in order.
<http://www.runrev.com/developers/lessons-and-tutorials/tutorials/online-scripting-conferences/>

P.S. and OT, are random digests with every entry repeated, a common
occurrence?

I dont' think so, but I don't get the digest, so maybe someone else knows.