On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 05:26 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

I realize it would be an uphill battle and likely without victory. Worth
pursuing, or better off left as a thought experiment? ;)

I think it's certainly futile for it to be like an RFC or ISO standard, but perhaps it could gain a cult following?

I was just reading your interview in revJournal, Richard. There should be a universal icon and hotkey for "progressive discloser". Click the icon and the app does an onion-skin animation and voila there is your advanced user view. Click the icon again and voila there is your super-user view!

Just last night I watched my 3 year old learn to use, pretty much intuitively, a "conveyor belt" widget in a game, that had right and left arrow-triangles for scrolling the conveyor belt. Pretty cool.

There is a cognitive basis for these things! Books that might be relevant

Metapatterns / Across Space, Time and Mind
by Tyler Volk

Metaphors We Live By
by Lakoff and Johnson

Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things / What Categories Reveal about the Mind
by Lakoff

Alex Rice, Software Developer Architectural Research Consultants, Inc. http://ARCplanning.com