On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 10:20 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

Something seems hideous about this. Is there some good reason for this or was this planned from the start to torture me?

It's tempting to say it was designed just to torment you, but actually this has been the bane of desktop publishing and software design since day one.

Yes. The above is code for "I made the silly assumption that fonts with the same name might be similar". More similar than they are. I think 25% size variations are a lot.

In general, if you lay out fields on Windows, there will be plenty of room for the same text on a Mac. If you lay out fields on a Mac, leave a lot of extra space for the Windows display. Sometimes you can adjust the field margins depending on the platform to give the extra pixels you need to create consistent word wrap, but don't count on it always being accurate.

It is strange that some Windows fonts are taller, yet have a smaller width and line spacing. That means I need to adjust one direction in some cases and another in others.

I had gotten into the habit of making my labels fit to text, something I realize is not what I want; I need to leave a little room for variations.

If a user doesn't have the fonts your stack expects, there's no telling how it will look and very little you can do about it.

I'm thinking of adding a simple alternate-font script in openBackground and others. In one case, I'm going to go to a fixed text height, but that will hurt my smaller-font displays. I expect I will bump the size by two on Windows in some applications and some controls. I need to learn about profiles.

Dar Scott