Message: 3 Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:32:13 -0800 From: Bruce Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: Apple script problems To: How to use Revolution <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

 I don't have FileMaker so I can't test this, but what do you get if you
 say:
 get every record as string
 in the AppleScript?

 AppleScript has decided to give you a list and that may end up easiest
 to process, but try coercing it to a string and see what happens.

 Cheers,
 Sarah
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.troz.net/Rev/

Sarah,

 You are a champ, proving the superiority of string theory! It returns
 a tab/return delimited string.

 Unfortunately, for a big file, I get an "execution error." But I got
 that without the "as string." I don't think this is a Run Rev
 capacity problem. I am able to import the file into a varaibe (or a
 field). I  suspect that AppleScript has limits on string lengths.

 Back to the tried-and-true--importing a text file.

1. You seem to be having difficulty with applescript 101 text handling.

2. You are making FileMaker operate inefficiently and do multiple operations
when it isn't necessary.

3. You haven't described any detail about the scope of this operation? How
many records, how many fields?

Actually, as I said earlier in this thread, this is an election database and very large; there are 16,000 records with 25 fields per record.

2. You aren't describing the runrev end of things. What is the applescript
in RR to make your new record? What data do you need to feed to it?

Tell app "FileMaker Pro"
Copy every record of document "xyz.fp5" to mydata
-- result is a list
-- do NOT coerce to string yet
End tell

I'm not having any trouble with the RunRev end. My problem is getting records from FileMaker into RunRev. The Apple Script above gives me the same problems. Very slow and eventually results in an "execution error" unless the file size is cut down.

Jim