On Jul 9, 2004, at 3:57 PM, Kaveh Bazargan wrote:

An alternate way to shell is to use appleScript to get to a shell.

Actually this is what I was doing till I learnt shell() on this list a few
days ago. ;-)

Long ago, before shell() worked on OS X, I used this workaround that I mentioned on this list:

I know nothing about AppleScript, but with a tiny bit of fooling around I came up with this:

function shellSH cmd
  -- Sorry, no quote marks in cmd in this version
  -- And shellCommand is ignored
  put "do shell script" & quote & cmd & quote into s
  do s as AppleScript
  put result() into r
  replace numToChar(13) with linefeed in r
  return r
end shellSH

This uses sh and not tcsh that the Terminal program uses.

The shell used may not apply any more.

In your case, if you 'cat .profile', you might see what it does to the path if it exits.

Dar Scott