It sounds like the revSpeech bundle is being loaded when you build a standalone with all the stacks in a single file, but when you separate out the sub-stacks to make them writable, the revSpeech bundle isn't loading.

Which stack loads the bundle and is that stack in use? Here is a section from a routine that I use for a Mac OS X bundle - your path may vary:

on enableLibraries
put the fileName of stack "Splash" into tFile
set the itemDel to "/"
delete last item of tFile
set the externals of stack "Main" to tFile & "/externals/revspeech.bundle"
start using stack "Main"
end enableLibraries

The key is to make sure that whatever stack loads the speech is in use.

Cheers,
Sarah