Thanks Kurt, Malte and Sarah for your responses to my question. Your replies helped me to understand why it would not work. I misunderstood that the sub-stacks would be linked to the revSpeak external in the build.

I have not tried your suggestions, but understand why they would work.

I have done another search in the Rev archives and came across a very simple solution from Klaus which I tried and it works in both Mac OS X and Windows builds. Here it is; (Thanks Klaus.)

Put this into the script of the store-data-stack

on preopenstack
   start using stack "the standalone one" ## well, you guess
end preopenstack

and:

on closestack
    stop using stack "the standalone one"
end closestack

This way not only handlers and functions of stack "the standalone one" are accessible but also its externals/libraries, which are missing otherwise as you just experienced :-)

Hope that helps...