Le 7 sept. 04, à 20:33, jbv a écrit :

Hi again,

I'm presently working on a website project for a client,
in which all the cgi stuff will be handled by Rev on a linux
RH server. A PostgreSQL database is also included and
requests will be done by endusers through webpages and
cgi scripts.

Besides I will also build a couple of web apps for this client
and his colleagues for simple management tasks of the database
(mostly add / delete / edit records).

I have 2 options, and am wondering which one is the best :

1) let these webapps communicate directly with the database,
but in that case I need to distribute the PostgreSQL driver
with each standalone, right ?

Not recommanded and difficult to secure and maintain

2) let the webapps communicate only with Rev cgi via
post commands, and have all database requests handled
only by the cgi app on the server...

Best and If i can add a proposal :

3) let the webapps communicate only with an Apache + PHP/Perl/Python sockets translator + a Rev application server via
post commands, and have all database requests handled only by the Rev app on the server in a localhost TCP/IP mode only (set in the postgres hba.conf file)... Lots more faster and secure than the cgi way...

Best, Pierre

I would apreciate any advice / experience on that topic.

Thanks,
JB

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris