Thanks Eric,

So my trapping the mouseDown message will break what I want to do while the mouse is down?!!

BUT when you mouseDown on a menu and then with it still down you nav down to a sub menu it seems to still highlight text items. And the same works in paint tools where you mouseDown a tool and sub to another tool in a popup. Seems kinda the same...

What kind of pending message is good for this and also is there a way to get the button to 'highlight' without a mouseDown???

Thanks again

tom