Dave Cragg wrote:

On OS X, I get the droppings too, (I always wondered what the technical term was. Thanks.) but only when the button is selected and is set as default. It seems the droppings are left by the selection handles, and not the button. Is that the same on Windows?

No.
When I select the button, I get two sets of droppings
 - remnants of gray squares from the selection handle
 - remnants of black lines along the trailing edge of the button

When the button is not selected, I get only the black lines left behind - and they are only on the trailing edge, and are apparently single pixel width.

When I switch from Edit (pointer) tool to Run (browse) tool, the droppings all disappear. When I hit an arrow key, they all disappear. But when I hit the tab key, focus moves to the next button, but the droppings remain.

Thanks to you and John for checking - I feel safe entering it as a BZ now - #2974