John Ridge wrote:

But on further reflection - this is the behaviour you have scripted! You
haven't said anything about erasing the remains of the last "set the loc".
The "grab" command presumably does pay attention to this...

Yes?
No. You never say anything about erasing at the old location (in fact, I don't know if there is any way to do that). To change the location of an object you set its location - and it disappears from the old location and appears at the new one. Nothing else needed.

The "grab" command comes with limitations - e.g. the object follows the mouse completely - not simply in one dimension as I need, it can only be used when the mouseloc is within the object, etc. (according to the docs - I've never used it, so can't confirm those).