On 29 Oct 2005, at 04:41, Chipp Walters wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more. The multiple books available for HyperCard, including Dan Shafer's and Danny Goodman's excellent tomes, were invaluable to me for learning how to work with HyperCard. That is one of the reasons why I'm pushing for both 'linearity' and 'xml' for whatever wiki is created.

Totally Chipp!

Wiki's as with HyperCard in fact (wiki's originated with, were inspired by, and were first programmed in HyperCard) - both have the same advantage and bloody aweful problem, of encouraging non- linearity. It is so easy to link anything to anything that you end up with a god-awful wiki mess, and you spend the rest of your time trying to introduce style sheets, templates and navigation structure.

It's great for the first 20 cards / pages -but as the thing scales?!? Also seems to have some serious long term mental effects on the coders ability to project manage their work - oh oh another one gone non-linear :)

One way to overcome this with wiki's is to look at the area of overlap with blog's. I started to use blog posts - good XMLRPC support there - for developer updates on project tasks - much better navigation. Wiki's are good at dictionaries and free flow association.

By the way Chipp - if you are interested in the XML / PDF stuff take a look at Apache Forrest - found it easy to install - simple and quick to get up and running very structured project based sites with great pdf export. Site navigation is a simple XML file. Done some work integrating it with Revolution.