I agree that in most instances using the name of controls is the best way.

BUT there is a **semantic** issue with the current behavior of the clone command because we expect a clone to be an exact copy of the original.

Also, the problem of changing the ID especially for images is a nasty one. Suppose you have many groups displaying different images in fields where the imagesource reference the id of images, the result of the clone can be not only surprising but also dangerous if IDs are mixed... (for instance imagine a surgery imaging software which after cloning a stack displays another image instead of the orginal one and ... then you - the patient - awake with amputation of the left leg instead of a back pigmented mole ablation).

Due to the semantic trouble of the current cloning way I suggest that Claudi who has found this disturbing behavior fills a bug.