I'm extending the build system for my apps to use build numbers, and it seems there are at least two different philosophies about this:

a) Increment the build number each time every build is made, regardless of version.
PRO: One number tells you what you need to know
CON: That number can get quite larger over the life of a product

b) Increment the build number each time, but reset to 1 for the first build of a major upgrade (the number to the left of the first decimal).
PRO: The build number will likely never exceed the hundreds, even for
     long-running successful programs
CON: You must also know the version to know where a build is in the larger sequence.

Is there of convention use widely enough to make alternatives easy to dismiss?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation