Hi Andre

The same thing happened to my old ibook recently. I didn't get the noise but the S.M.A.R.T. status of the HD was "failed".

I was only able to retrieve the data by booting up a live cd of Ubuntu (PPC) & followed the instructions below..

http://jclark.org/weblog/2005/05/24/ubuntumount/

Eventually the whole drive needed to be replaced because it wouldn't install either OSX or ubuntu.

Good Luck!

regards
alex

Andre Garzia wrote:
Friends,

I was here coding some AJAX programs and developing libraries, my macbook just made a strange mechanical noise and then it was dead... when tried to boot, it made lots of mechanical noises and it never booted again. The noises are comming from the hard drive. I am assuming I lost everything. all my source code for the last year and everything I was working. I don't know what is broken... but I can't make it boot even from CDs...

SNIP