Dave wrote:

a)  I'm not running Unix!

Revolution was originally created for Unix only, and many of its commands and syntax structures mirror that. For example, we use forward slashes ("/"), a unix convention, in all file paths regardless of the OS the engine is running on. The original engine, MetaCard, ran exclusively on unix systems for many years before a port to Windows was created, and a couple more years after that before it moved to Macintosh. You will find many commands in the documentation that are unix-only and have no effect in other operating systems. All these reflect the original MetaCard roots of the engine.

b) In the Unix the Command is "mv" (for move) and, AFAIR you can say: mv /FolderA/FolderB/FolderC/Filex.xxx /FolderA/FolderB/FolderX/ which is what I was doing in the first place!

I decided to look this up. The man entry for mv shows two forms of syntax. The first form, which is the assumed default, is the one that Revolution uses, and requires a file path for both parameters. The second form is similar to the one you quote, but your method would produce an error. The man entry says "It is an error for either the source operand or the destination path to specify a directory unless both do." The second form is apparently intended to move the file contents of whole directories from one folder to another.

I just don't get it, you take the Unix "move" command, call it "rename" and then stop it working like "move".

That doesn't seem to be the case. Revolution's rename command (which doesn't exist in unix) is mapped to the mv command (which does) and uses the first form, which is also the default form. I see below that there are several flags which affect whether the mv command will prompt before overwriting a file. I assume that to keep things simple, MetaCard used no flags in its interpretation of the mv command and assumed the developer would handle fie duplicates in scripts.

Here's the first part of the man entry, for reference:

SYNOPSIS
     mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target
     mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source ... directory

DESCRIPTION
     In its first form, the mv utility renames the file named by the source
operand to the destination path named by the target operand. This form is assumed when the last operand does not name an already existing directory.

     In its second form, mv moves each file named by a source operand to a
destination file in the existing directory named by the directory operand. The destination path for each operand is the pathname produced by
     the concatenation of the last operand, a slash, and the final pathname
     component of the named file.

     The following options are available:

-f Do not prompt for confirmation before overwriting the destination path. (The -f option overrides any previous -i or -n options.)

-i Cause mv to write a prompt to standard error before moving a file that would overwrite an existing file. If the response from the standard input begins with the character `y' or `Y', the move is
             attempted.  (The -i option overrides any previous -f or -n
             options.)

-n Do not overwrite an existing file. (The -n option overrides any
             previous -f or -i options.)

     -v      Cause mv to be verbose, showing files after they are moved.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]