Bob Warren wrote:
The real reason behind all of this is the fact that I am fascinated by the vision of a dancing "Rev Online" icon at the top of my IDE window to tell me that bug-fix downloads are available! :-D

So if RunRev added an "Automatically Check for Updates" feature to compliment the the existing "Check for Updates" menu item, these sorts of threads would go away?

:)

P.S. To what degree is "patching" of the Rev IDE possible or practical?

AFAIK only three stacks in the Rev IDE are locked: the Standalone Builder, License.rev, and RevOnline.

All others are open for your modification, with the caveat that your changes will be lost with the next update.

If RunRev would consider open sourcing the IDE as MetaCard's is, you would be able to contribute changes for them to consider including in the master build.

But even without a formal open source process, Kevin has said that if someone makes a patcher for the IDE which applies any such changes, they could easily run it to evaluate them and would consider including them.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal