On Sep 1, 2007, at 7:16 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

Luis wrote:
A plain text file should do it, with the MAC code encrypted.

That's what I'm thinking. But encrypted or not, anyone who copies it will have access to the software.

(I'm starting to wonder if I care...) ;)

How about having the server run a validation app full time. It can periodically check to see that it is installed legally on the server by checking the MAC address and then generating the appropriate key. If they both match as expected it continues to run. The server app is listening to a port where the clients ping for validation from the server app on their startup.

On an illegal install, the server validation app will not allow the clients to run when they check in on startup. The only negative is that you have to have an app running on the server. Should not be a big deal.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com