J. Landman Gay wrote:
Alex Tweedly wrote:
J. Landman Gay wrote:

From what I read, the arp command is supposed to get what I need but I can't make it work. I think that's because my server is a Mac. If I had a Windows-only network it might work but I don't know how to test it with my current setup. :(

I very much doubt that :-)
Whether the server is a Mac or a polka-dotted unicorn (??), if you can ping it, it pretty much has to have an arp association on the client machine :-)

after you do the ping, does the arp table on the server have an entry for the client ?

Well, I'm pinging from Parallels to the Mac, then doing the arp command on the Windows/Parallels side. It says there are no entries at all. I did use the -a flag. Sounds like maybe I'm doing it backwards? It's the only way I can do it, since Parallels is my only functioning Windows environment right now.

Sounds like you may be doing it right. I would be concerned that Parallels manages the network from their "Hypervisor", and may therefore "shield" (i.e. hide) such things as the ARP entries form the non-primary OSes.

In any case, there was nothing in your description that said to me "must be on same subnet", so as Luis said, arp is pretty much a loser once you need to handle a routed (multi-subnet) network; I'd look more into his suggestions of a script / file on the server which determines / holds its own MAC address.

In another email, you said
If there is no reliable way to get the server's MAC address, I have a problem.
The only way you can get even close to a "reliable way" is to run something on the server itself - anything else will fail in some case involving routed networks and/or proxy-arp and/or multi-network-interface machines (which Mac address is to be used ?).

Even then, you can still hit problems if the MAC address changes (e.g. servers running load-sharing or virtual network protocols).

--

Alex Tweedly      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      www.tweedly.net