Watch out for this though. It's been my experience, and maybe it's just some sort of bug for now in Vista that will later be fixed, that even sometimes writing to C:\ProgramData will cause things to be redirected to the user's VirtualStore, which in some cases may be okay, but in other's not okay at all.

I found the Public Documents folder to be about the safest place for me. I realize it's maybe not the best place to store a prefs file, but it seems to work best as far as all users being able to access it, without things being redirected to the VirtualStore. The official path is C:\Users\Public\Public Documents.

My two cents...

Chris Sheffield