A Useful-Thing...selected by Dennis Cummins.

This week's Useful-Thing is a free FTP client called "SmartFTP".

SmartFTP is nearly as feature rich as the some of the better known
shareware FTP clients and in fact out performs many shareware ftp
clients.  I'll list some of the features here:

~~

Windows / Internet Explorer like user interface
Drag & Drop within internal windows and from Explorer
Multi Connections (remote and local)
FXP support
Transfer Queue
  - Scheduling
  - Uploads/Downloads/FXP
  - Up to 16 simultaneous threads
  - Ultra-Fast-Queue-Directory-Contents-Speed-Feature
FTPSearch / FileZ.com Interface
Favorites as used in IE
Global History
Recursive Downloads / Uploads / Deletes
Resume for broken Transfers (ul/dl/fxp)
Background Transfers
Proxy / Firewall support
   SOCKS5, SOCKS4, SOCKS4A (MS Proxy)
   Wingate, Winproxy, CSM
   Passive Transfer Mode (PASV)
Bands
   Local Folder Browser, Transfer Queue
FTP URL (ftp://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:port/path ) support
URL Watcher
Cache Remote Directories
ASCII and Skip File Extension List
Commandline for manually entering direct commands
View Web Pages (OLE2) directly within SmartFTP
Active Log Control (URL's are usable) and Logging to File
Quick / Recent Folders
Custom Toolbars
Custom Commands
Optimized TYPE commands
Network Neighborhood support
CHMOD (Properties)
and much more ...

~~

The author gives it's users a great deal of support with website
bulletin board discussion groups and an announcements newsletter.  Plus
he provides you a web page to report bugs.  There is a terrific help
page as well at the site with guides, faqs, and more.  He really gives
a lot of service for a freeware product.

Dennis comments, "I really like this FTP client.  In fact I would run
it all the time if I did not have another client registered.   Some
folks like to run two clients.  This would make a very good second
client."

I installed the program and I agree wholeheartedly with Dennis.  If you
are looking for a quality ftp client, then you really should consider
SmartFTP.  And if you are like me, who collect them like candy, this
would be a fine addition to your ftp repertoire of programs. :-)

Okay, here are the particulars:

Author or company: SmartFTP

URL of the author's Main Web site: http://www.smartftp.com/

URL to the download page: http://www.smartftp.com/download.html

Note: In downloading the file you are given a choice of either first
downloading a small (54 KB) downloader-setup program which will check
your system for requirements and then it will complete the downloading
of all necessary files.  Or you can opt for the 5 MB complete
installation file if you are sure your system has all the right
requirements.  (see below)

Requirements to install and run the program:

* Windows 98, Windows Millenium, WinNT4.0 or Win2k

Members with the above mentioned OS's should have no problems
installing SmartFTP.

~~~~

* Members with Windows 95 or NT 3.x need to first check for these
requirements:

~ Win95 or NT3x with IE 4+ installed

~ commctl32.dll version >= 4.72

~ shlwapi.dll   version >= 4.72

~ winInet.dll   version >= 4.72

~ Winsock 2.x (32-bit TCP/IP stack)

~ It requires some recent libraries like shlwapi.dll, comctl32.DLL,
comdlg32.DLL. "The fact that we cannot guarantee a safe installation
is due to these dependencies and also that it would require to provide
an installer for each language." (author's notes)

~~~

We recommend that anyone with Windows-95 first download the downloader
program which I mentioned above, that will check their system for
necessary files.

Enjoy! :-)

Alan S. Harrell for himself and Dennis Cummins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.ashlists.org/useful-things