Dear Cassandra community,

after upgrading my Cassandra nodes from version 3.11.6 to either 3.11.7 or
3.11.8 I experience a significant increase in read latency.
With 3.11.6 average read latency is ~0.35 ms. With 3.11.7 average read
latency increases to ~2.9 ms, almost 10 times worse! This behavior applies
to all my environments, testing and productive.

I do also observe that the "bloom-filter false positive rate" and "SSTable
reads" increases significantly with version >= 3.11.7

I'm wondering if someone experienced the same problem when updating
Cassandra from 3.11.6 to either 3.11.7 or 3.11.8 and can help me out.

I already tried nodetool scrub, sstablescrub, manual compaction, and re
pair on selected tables without impact. When downgrading back to 3.11.6
read latency recovers immediately.

My update routine is very simple. I'm just stopping the service, install
the new version (using apt), and start the service again. One node after
the other. As coming from 3.11.6 updating to 3.11.7 (or 3.11.8) is just a
patch update and I expect this routine should do well, but maybe I'm
missing some important steps here.

I can provide more information about my system or configuration if
required.

Appreciate your support!

Kind regards
Nico

LANCOM Systems GmbH
Adenauerstr. 20 / B2
52146 Würselen
Deutschland

Tel: +49 2405 49936-0
Fax: +49 2405 49936-99

Web: https://www.lancom-systems.de

Geschäftsführer: Ralf Koenzen, Stefan Herrlich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Aachen, Amtsgericht Aachen, HRB 16976