Oh, if you're adding the same hosts to another cluster then the old cluster
might try to communicate to the decommissioned nodes if you do that before
the 3 day grace period. The cluster name not matching is a good protection,
otherwise the two clusters will connect to each other and mayhem will
ensue. You definitely don't want this to happen!

Unfortunately this delay of 3 days is hard-coded and non-configurable
before 4.0 (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15596).

As long as all the old cluster nodes are UP and don't see the
decommissioned node on "nodetool status", you can safely assassinate
decommissioned nodes to prevent this.

The requirement that all nodes in the cluster are UP before safely
assassinating a node is to prevent a down node from trying to connect to
the decommissioned node after it recovers.