I don't know about the performance - a hashmap is pretty fast for
retrieval. (FYI: the constructor you use there will cause slower
performance - the default would use more memory, but be faster - using
3 or 4 as the parameter might be better, read the javadocs on that
one.)

The parameter checking is an interesting idea - I'm just not sure that
it makes it much less error prone - in both cases, you need to type
(or paste) the names.

Larry