With the shutter glasses approach you can use "regular" frame rates.
Dolby 3D and RealD 3D, use higher refresh rates showing the same image
for each eye several (three) times before moving on to the next actual
frame, but if you aren't too fussy about it, a 60 Hz refresh rate,
just showing each frame once, works quite well. At least for still
images. Of course, even for shutters, higher refresh rates would make
it look better, but if you are moving up that ladder, then the
polarisation or phase filtering methods might be more suitable.

/ Fredrik