Hiya,

All interesting reading - thank you for one, from me!

I brought up OCTANE just to see. But also previously brought up the
FREE / Open Source
physically based and unbiased rendering engine that is LUXRENDER:

http://www.luxrender.net/

Access to  this from RS  because it is free and therefore accessible
to more than FRY which has a far higher cost.

Aidan