On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM, John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
wrote:

> I’m seeing discussion of a new Decimal encoding in the mailing list, and
> it would be bad for us to commit to the C++ Avro, and then find that our
> customers have created Avro files (using Java, MapReduce, etc) that we
> can’t read.  We don’t have control over what files we encounter, and it is
> desirable for our product to read whatever a customer throws at it, within
> reason.

Except for compression codecs, all implementations should be able to read
all data files written by other implementations.  The Avro schema language
has not changed incompatibly since 1.0.  Additions such as Decimal are
back-compatible.  Implementations that have no knowledge of Decimal schemas
can still process data written that contains Decimals but will see them as
byte arrays with schema attributes.

Doug