From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutt...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2014 11:29 AM
To: user@avro.apache.org
Subject: Re: State of the C++ vs Java implementations

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM, John Lilley
<john.lil...@redpoint.net<mailto:john.lil...@redpoint.net>> wrote:
Do you know where I can find a list of codecs supported in Java vs C++?

Grepping the Avro C++ headers, it seems to support just the null codec and
deflate.  These are the two codecs that every implementation is meant to
support.

http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html#Required+Codecs

It would wonderful if someone contributed Snappy support to C++, but that's not
yet happened.

Java additionally supports snappy, bzip2 and xz.

http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/api/java/org/apache/avro/file/CodecFactory.html

Doug