It applies to custom containers as well. You can find the container
manifest in the GCE VM metadata, and it should have an entry for privileged
mode. The reason for this was to enable GPU accelerator support, but agree
with Robert that it is not part of any contracts, so in theory this could
change or perhaps be more strictly limited to accelerator support. In fact,
originally, this was only enabled for pipelines using accelerators but for
purely internal implementation details I believe it is currently enabled
for all pipelines.

So for prototyping purposes I think you could try it, but I can't make any
guarantees in this thread that privileged mode will continue to work.

cc: @Aaron Li <aaronle...@google.com> FYI