Currently each node has 4x1TB SATA disks. In MySQL we have 15tb currently
with no replication. To move this to Cassandra replication factor 3 we need
45TB assuming the space usage is the same, but it is probably more. We had
assumed a 30 node cluster with 4tb per node would suffice with head room for
compaction and to growth (120 TB).

SSD drives for 30 nodes in this size range are not cost feasible for us. We
can try to use 15k SAS drives and have more spindles but then our per node
cost goes up. I guess I naively thought cassandra would do its magic and a
few commodity SATA hard drives would be fine.

Our performance requirement does not *need* 10k writes/node/sec 24 hours a
day, but if we can not get really good performance the switch from MySQL
becomes harder to rationalize. We can currently restore from a MySQL dump a
2.5 terabyte backup (plain old insert statements) in 4-5 days. I expect as
much or more from cassandra and I feel years away from simply loading 2+tb
into cassandra without so many issues.

What is really required in hardware for a 100+tb cluster with near 10k/sec
write performance sustained? If the answer is SSD what can be expected from
15k SAS drives and what from SATA?

Thank you for your advice, I am struggling with how to make this work. Any
insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.