On 8/22/10 12:00 AM, Wayne wrote:
Due to compaction being so expensive in terms of disk resources, does it
make more sense to have 2 data volumes instead of one? We have 4 data
disks in raid 0, would this make more sense to be 2 x 2 disks in raid 0?
That way the reader and writer I assume would always be a different set
of spindles?

Cassandra supports multiple data directories via specifying multiple DataFileDirectory items in the DataFileDirectories block. Unfortunately due to the way that compaction currently works, this often results in one or the other drive being much hotter than the other and lots of inter-disk shuffling of data.

Is a JIRA which refers to these issues. I am not aware of anyone who has successfully improved their overall performance via multiple data directories. I am, however, aware of people who have encountered negative consequences as a result of doing so. As such, I do not recommend it.

=Rob