I've been doing it for years with no technical problems. However, using "%" as the escape char tends to, in some cases, confuse a certain operating system whose name may or may not begin with "W", so using something else makes sense.

However, it does require an extra cognitive step for the maintainer, since the mapping between filenames and logical names is no longer immediately obvious. Especially with multiple files this can be a pain (e.g. Chinese logical names which map to pretty incomprehensible sequences that are laborious to look up).

So my experience suggests to avoid it for ops reasons, and just go with simplicity.

/Janne