1676 says "Avoid dropping messages off the client request path."
Bootstrap messages are "off the client requst path."  So, if some of
the nodes involved were loaded enough that they were dropping messages
older than RPC_TIMEOUT to cope, it could lose part of the bootstrap
communication permanently.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra