[I wrote this Apr 10, 2011 at 12:09 but my message seems to have gotten lost
along the way.]

I use Pelops (the 1.0-0.7.x build from the Github Maven repo) and have
occasionally seen this message (under load or during GC). I have a test app
running in two separate single-threaded processes doing a slow trickle
insert into a single Cassandra 0.7.4 node all on the same box (Mac OS X).

This has been running off and on for over a week with no exceptions and I
just this same error about two hours ago. Both client processes experienced
it at about the same time, and it seemed related to a GC/compaction on the
Cassandra instance.

I'm guessing that it is either actually a read timeout on the clients,
or (less likely) somehow the Cassandra instance mixed up the two responses?