Can you provide the full error stack, it will show where it failed when
starting up.

AFAIK this i the correct process. I just did a quick test on a singe 0.7 node
and it could start up after removing the locations SSTables.

If you go ahead with removing all the system sstables you can re-recreate the
schema and it will pickup the existing files. Also be aware that the initial
token will be lost unless it is in the conf file.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton