I was looking in the wrong place, the code expects the data directory for the
system keyspace to be empty if it could not read from the LocationInfo CF.

Created a patch here  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2632 to
see if it can be changed.

In the mean time try removing all the files, restarting and then stopping. You
should see that only the LocationInfo has files in the system keyspace, put the
Schema, Migration and any other files back (other than the LocationInfo) and
try starting again.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer