On 06/22/2011 05:33 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
> Just to be clear:
>
> I understand that resources like [1] and [2] exist, and I've read them.  I'm
> just wondering if there are any 'gotchas' that might be missing from that
> documentation that should be considered and if there are any recommendations
> in addition to these documents.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les
>
> [1] http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/operations/index
> [2] http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations

Well if they new some secret gotcha the dutiful cassandra operators of
the world would update the wiki.

The closest thing to a 'gotcha' is that neither Cassandra nor any other
technology is going to get you those nines.  Humans will need to commit
to reading the mailing lists, following JIRA, and understanding what the
code is doing.  And humans will need to commit to combine that
understanding with monitoring and alerting to figure out all of the "it
depends" for your particular case.