On Nov 11, 2012, at 12:01 AM, Binh Nguyen <binhn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI: Repair does not remove tombstones. To remove tombstones you need to run
> compaction.
> If you have a lot of data then make sure you run compaction on all nodes
> before running repair. We had a big trouble with our system regarding
> tombstone and it took us long time to figure out the reason. It turned out
> that repair process also transfers TTLed data (compaction is not triggered
> yet) to the other nodes even that data was removed from the other nodes in
> the compaction phase before that.

Aren't compactions triggered automatically? At least minor compactions. Also, I
read this in
http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/operations/tuning#tuning-compaction :

"After running a major compaction, automatic minor compactions are no longer
triggered, frequently requiring you to manually run major compactions on a
routine basis."
"DataStax does not recommend major compaction."

So I'm unsure whether to start triggering manually these compactions… I guess
I'll have to experiment with it.

Thanks!

André