If you have a long lived row with a lot of tombstones or overwrites, it's often
more efficient to select a known list of columns. There are short circuits in
the read path that can avoid older tombstones filled fragments of the row being
read. (Obviously this is hard to do if you don't know the names of the columns).

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton